Cape Town Legal Correspondents

Contact Us on 021 422 4963 / [email protected]

Debt Collections

Contact Us on 021 422 4963 / [email protected]

Civil Litigation

Contact Us on 021 422 4963 / [email protected]

Divorce & Family Law

Divorce & Family Law

Contact Us on 021 422 4963 / [email protected]


Who gets parental rights and responsibilities for the child?

Often a big question for couples when they decide to get divorced is what happens with their children.

In this article we will look at what does “rights and responsibilities” mean and who has them.

Parental Rights - Divorce Lawyers in Cape Town

The Children’s Act deals with all matters relating to children and what is important to note is that the child’s best interests are always at the core. Therefore who has rights and responsibilities can be found in the Act.

Rights and Responsibilities

Section 18 of the Children’s Act identifies what rights and responsibilities entail. It is the right and responsibility to; care for the child, maintain contact with the child, act as guardian of the child and to contribute to the maintenance of the child.

The Rights and Responsibilities of the mother

Section 19 stipulates that a biological mother automatically has full rights and responsibilities whether married or unmarried.

The Right and Responsibilities of the married father

Section 20 deals with the rights of a married father. A biological father has full rights and responsibilities of their children if; they are married to the child’s mother or was married to the child’s mother at the time of the child’s conception, birth and any time between the child’s conception and birth.

The Rights and Responsibilities of an unmarried father

When a father is not married to the biological mother or has not obtained parental rights and responsibilities under section 20, section 21 can be considered.

An unmarried father can obtain parental rights and responsibilities if at the time of the child’s birth he was living with the mother in a partnership or if he is not living with the mother and he; consents to be the child’s father, contributes to the child’s upbringing and has tried to contribute financially towards the child.

It is important to note that the duty of a father to contribute to the child financially is not affected by the father not obtaining parental rights and responsibilities and therefore a biological mother can still go to court for a child maintenance order against the father.

Bailey Haynes Incorporated – Family Law and Divorce Lawyers in Cape Town

We provide professional advice relating to all aspects of family law, including the enforcement and protection of rights in family, personal relations as well as antenuptial contracts.

Contact our divorces lawyers in Cape Town for expert legal advice and assistance with all matter relating to divorce and family law.


Got something to say? Join the discussion »

Leave a Reply

 [Quick Submit with Ctrl+Enter]

Remember my details
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail


Get the latest updates in your email box automatically.



CloseCOVID-19 Corona Virus South African Resource Portal